Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Marathon

Jack's Godmother, Ann Phillips, ran her first full marathon (26.2 miles!) today. Up to this point she had only run around 20 miles at one time, but she finished the other 6.2 with energy to spare! She completed the course in 4 hours and 45 minutes. Can you even imagine???
If you recall from an earlier post, she was raising money for cancer research and it turns out she was the highest fundraiser there with over $5,500 in sponsorships! Congratulations, Ann!


Unfortunately, Amy had to fly to Atlanta for work and was uable to make the race, but Jack and I caught up with Ann several times during the event. Here she is just after finishing her sixth mile, which she ran in memory of Jack's great-grandfather, Ward Lawler. Still looking strong!

Jack was waiting for her at the finish line. He wanted to show off his killer "I'm an Ann Fan" shirt that his dad made last-minute at 6:00 A.M. Looks totally professional, huh?


Sorry- the smudge in the middle of all these pictures is leftover squash on the lense from the "airplane" contest (see previous post) last night. I didn't notice until I downloaded everything!

2 comments:

Amy McGuire said...

Go Ann Go - I can't believe I missed the big race:( We are super proud of you!

Amy

PhillipsFamily said...

Thanks for the cool blog shout out!! Having my little "Ann Fan" cheer me on at the race made all the difference in getting through to the finish line!!
I can't wait to cheer Jack on someday at his own marathon- my shirt will say "Godmama's got yo back, Jack!"