Saturday, September 29, 2012

Combine Harvesting For Real

If anyone knows Jack, they know that he is all about combine harvesters.  He spends hours each day walking around with his arm straight out to the side pretending to combine.  He talks about them constantly (ask his poor teachers at school).  He has even asked to be one for Halloween.  I frequently am told I can't walk on our field of wheat/corn (a.k.a. our livingroom carpet) because it is being harvested - hopefully I'm making my point.
 
So just imagine what happened in Jack's brain when Grandaddy picked him up from school by surprise to take him for a ride on a real harvester while it was chopping corn.  Yeah, I can't imagine what was going on in there either but I can assure you it was AMAZING!
 
 
 The driver has a young son too and knew just what Jack would like. He let him run some of the knobs and buttons while they were chopping. This is pretty much the biggest chopper they make. The guy told me it can cut down 100 acres in four hours!
 
 
 Here he is getting the run down on the levers and buttons.
 
 
 Okay- let's go cut some corn!
 
 
 They filled up about 10 of those dump trucks full of corn. Jack probably rode on that thing for over a half hour!
 
 

 When Jack emerged he was utterly speechless. His eyes were huge and he didn't say anything for a minute or two. I think he was completely overwhelmed!
 
 
 
The fun didn't stop there.  Next they let him ride on a huge front loader!
 

 Dumping some serious corn into a feed-hauler.
 
And if you think all of that was unbelievable - next up was the bulldozer! 

 Jack got his own seat for the ride.  This also came with its own seatbelt, which you'll see below was for a very good reason.
 
 
 Here they go climbing the hill.

 
 Up, up, up!
 
 
 Yeah, he's in there - scary right?
 
 

What an unbelievable experience!  And that is what Jack keeps telling me - "I can't believe I got to ride in a combine, front loader and bulldozer!" Best day EVER!


No comments: